Steam relieves stress, eases muscle aches and improves your sleep. For centuries, steam therapy was a luxury for the rich. Fortunately, it is now possible to recreate steam therapy at your home. You can now relax and chase away the chills of winter in your bathroom. All you need is the best steam shower installed in your home, and a quality steam generator to ensure you get all the steam you need. Steam shower generators come with numerous capabilities, however. There are dozens of manufacturers who will promise to deliver a quality unit but we both know not all marketers are reliable. Read our best steam shower generator reviews to learn the truth about the top six steam shower generators in the market today.
Imagine this. You are feeling tired and worn out but within twenty minutes you can get inside your bathroom, take a shower and get out feeling relaxed. Wouldn’t that feel wonderful? Take time reading through the following top steam shower generators and you could find the right generator for your steam room.
- Mr. Steam Ms225ec1
- Power: 7.5 kW
- Heats: 225 cu. ft.
- Breaker: 240Volts 32Amps 1Phase
- Dimensions:19" x 14-3/4" x 6-3/4"
- Other: ASME safety valve, time cutoff, UL/CSA/CE listed, electronic water-level control system
- Steamist SM-7
- Power: 7 kW
- Heats: 220 cu. ft.
- Breaker: 240 V / single phase / 29 max Amps
- Dimensions: 15" x 6" x 15.5"
- Other: UL/cUL Listed, optional auto drain
- Steam Planet 9kw
- Power: 9 kW
- Heats: 320-460 cu. ft.
- Breaker: 220-volt/10-2 wire-30 amp GFCI
- Dimensions: 19.8" x 20" x 10.4"
- Other: control panel, temperature sensor, 1/2 in. NPT fillings, 8" steam head, 16' wiring for control panel
- Steamist SM-11
- Power: 11 kW
- Heats: 500 cu. ft.
- Breaker: 240 V / single phase / 46 max Amps
- Dimensions: 17.5" x6.5" x 15.5"
- Other: UL/cUL Listed, can be installed 25' away from bathing area
- Steam Spa OA600CHC
- Power: 6 kW
- Heats: 150 cu. ft.
- Breaker: 240-volt/25 amp GFCI
- Dimensions: 16" x 6.5" x 14.5"
- Other: auto drain, reservoir for fragrances, automatically purges the generator
- Steam Planet 12kW
- Power: 12 kW
- Heats: 460-700 cu. ft.
- Breaker: 220-volt/6-2 wire-60 amp GFCI
- Dimensions: 21" x 9.5" x 15"
- Other: ETL Certified, 16' of connecting wire for control panel, temperature sensor, steam head with aroma therapy outlet
- 1 Top 6 Steam Shower Generators Reviewed
- 2 Superior 9Kw Steam Shower Generator
- 3 Mr. Steam Ms225ec1 Steam Room Generator
- 4 Steamist SM-7 Steam Shower Generator
- 5 Steamist SM-11 Residential Steam Shower Generator
- 6 Steam Spa OA600CHC Small Steam Room Generator
- 7 Superior 12Kw Steam Shower Generator
- 8 Best Steam Shower Generator Comparison Table
- 9 What is a Steam Shower Generator?
- 10 Buying Guide for Choosing the Best Steam Shower Generator
- 11 Steam Shower Generator Installation
- 12 Conclusion
Top 6 Steam Shower Generators Reviewed
Superior 9Kw Steam Shower Generator
Superior 9Kw from Steam Planet is a powerful steam bath generator anyone would want to have. With its ability to achieve 9kws of power, you could install the generator in a medium or large steam shower and have it perform efficiently. If you own a quality steam shower, this generator will improve steam build up time in your bathroom to up to a minute. Besides power, the generator is built to improve your convenience in both installation and usage. It comes with a 16 ft. connecting wire, meaning that you can install it at your place of convenience in our out of the steam unit. The quality of construction in the steam generator is also impressive, having been built from chrome.
- Features a chrome steam head with an aromatherapy connect outlet.
- Long 16 feet connecting wire for flexible installation. Installing a steam generator can be tricky for many steam showers, but not when you own the Superior 9kW generator. You get to choose where to install it in your bathroom, and it will deliver steam with great efficacy.
- Waterproof programmable control panel. If you wish to increase steam level in the unit, you simply dial a control and steam increases. The control dials are easy to use.
- Features a shower wand as an extra accessory. The shower wand also features on/off controls to make it easy to use the feature.
- ETL certified.
Mr. Steam Ms225ec1 Steam Room Generator
Mr. Steam is one of the most successful steam room generator manufacturers in the US. Their generators like this Ms225ec1 is also one of the most respected generators in building up steam and in overall performance. You can tell that the generator is reliable by looking at its success in the market. For a 7.5Kw generator that cost $1500 to be among the top selling brands in leading online retail stores, it got to be reliable. And besides being a reliable generator, it also features helpful functions like a temperature probe and an integrated time cut off feature.
- Durable. Mr. Steam 225ec1 is built from stainless steel both on the interior and exterior. The manufacturer claims that these parts are 100% recyclable. What matters though is that the stainless steel body is powerful enough to protect the generator from accidental knocks and corrosion for up to a decade.
- 7.5Kw power. The residential steam generator is easily one of the most powerful generators for home showers. Most home steam showers actually will perform more efficiently with a more powerful generator. With the added power, therefore, you have the ability to increase steam and have a better steam bath that you original generator could provide.
- Comes with serviceable heating elements. This is meant to help you keep in control of how the heating elements function and service them when they begin to underperform.
- An integrated time cut off feature will help you if you tend to over enjoy the tranquility of a steam shower.
- Comes with a microprocessor operating control.
Steamist SM-7 Steam Shower Generator
The generator boasts of a 7kW power rating, which makes it a perfect fit for a residential steam shower of one or two people. A generator of its capability is also suitable for any steam unit that does not exceed 250 cubic feet unless you don’t care much about the steam build up time. But since you probably want a generator with a fast steam build up time, Steamist SM-7 is designed to deliver exactly that. It features industrial quality heating elements, an easy to use control panel and helpful connecting accessories.
- Modular Control Panel. The generator’s control panel allows you switch the generator on/off, drain it, and adjust it to match your bathing preferences. You can also control temperatures in your steam unit by manipulating the control panel.
- 7kw capability. For a home steam shower of one or two, Steamist will perform efficiently in delivering steam in the fastest time possible. And with the help of its industrial quality heating element, the generator ensures that you get a reliable flow of steam throughout your shower experience.
- Durable. Steamist SM-7 features a durable stainless steel design on the exterior. It is also compact by design and small enough to be installed inside a cabinet where it can stay protected for years.
- Comes with multiple but helpful accessories. The generator comes with important connecting wires, outlets, and a drainage feature to make it as reliable as possible. It also features a preset timer to help you best manage your steam shower.
Steamist SM-11 Residential Steam Shower Generator
Steamist SM-11 is an improvement of the SM-7 in power rating. It delivers 11 kilowatts of power, making it more powerful and more ideal for a bigger steam shower. With 11kWs power rating and powerful heating elements, you can expect a steam build up time of a fraction of a minute. For a 2 person spacious steam shower, the steam generator will also deliver a reliable flow of steam. Besides its power, Steamist SM-11 is also an improvement of the SM-7 in many ways. The generator’s connecting wire, for example, measures 25 ft. long. It is also of a stronger build with different parts made from stainless steel, brass, and aluminum.
- Large capacity generator. The Steamist model delivers 11kWs of power, which is exactly what you need to have your steam shower filled with intensity as soon as you get in there. Steamist doesn’t allow for time wastage, and its heating proof is also proof of that. The elements are industrial grade, made from brass to last for long. Also, the generator is designed to perform efficiently in steam units with a 500 maximum cubic foot range.
- Durable. The generator’s design makes it easy to protect for long durability. Coming with a 25 ft. installation wires, you can install in a cabinet or a closet and have it last for a decade. However, its stainless steel exterior and brass made threads also makes it durable even when installed inside the steam room.
- Multiple accessories and outlets. The Steamist steam generator kit features an aromatherapy outlet as well as helpful accessories for its maintenance.
Steam Spa OA600CHC Small Steam Room Generator
Steam Spa OA600CHC is a powerful steam generator designed to deliver everything you would expect from a top rated model. According to online reviews of people who own the generator, it supplies steam impressively such that you don’t need to engage its dial in improving your shower experience. The unit also comes with an aroma steam head, which is a great feature if you would love to recreate health spa experiences in your home. Compact in size and durable, the Steam Spa model is not a unit you will have problems installing. You can place it anywhere in your bathroom, and it will perform efficiently.
- 6kW power rating. With a 6 kW power rating, you can immerse yourself into a great steam bath without worrying that you won’t have enough steam. Being the standard power rating for a good small steam generator, you can use this model in a 1 person or 2 person steam shower and have a great experience.
- Chrome Control panel. The generator’s control panel is built from chrome to provide durability and an aesthetic appeal. It is also easy to use and it allows you to control a variety of helpful features such as temperature.
- Features an aromatherapy outlet. You can make your steam showers refreshing and more luxurious by connecting fragrances and scents through the steam generator.
- Comes with an auto drain feature that purges the generator of excess minerals after every shower.
Superior 12Kw Steam Shower Generator
The superior 12Kw steam generator is easily the winner of the most powerful residential steam generators. It is one of the best rated steam generators actually. With a 12 kW power rating, you can have steam built up in your 2 person steam room in a fraction of a minute. And if you have a large 500 cubic feet steam room, the generator can incredibly provide enough steam throughout your bath. Apart from being one of the most powerful home steam shower generators, it is also a convenient machine. It comes with all the accessories and parts you will need during its installation to make the process easy.
- High Power. Superior 12kW is as superior in power as its name says. With the power it provides, you can have your steam showers as fast as you wish. You can buy a larger steam room without changing your steam generator.
- Control Features. Although the biggest selling point for the generator is its power rating, it is also a convenient generator. You can control steam temperature on its dial. You can also check temperatures on its temperature sensor.
- Easy to install. The steam generator features a variety of accessories for easy installation. It has a long 16 ft. connecting wire and a compact design to make it easy for installation anywhere in your bathroom.
- Supports a self draining mechanism for durability.
- Durable. Featuring an exterior stainless steel build, the generator is strong enough to offer its services for over a decade.
Best Steam Shower Generator Comparison Table
|Mr. Steam Ms225ec1||7.5 kW||225 cu. ft.||240Volts 32Amps 1Phase||19" x 14-3/4" x 6-3/4"|
|Steamist SM-7||7 kW||220 cu. ft.||240 V / single phase / 29 max Amps||15" x 6" x 15.5"|
|Steam Planet 9kw||9 kW||320-460 cu. ft.||220-volt/10-2 wire-30 amp GFCI||19.8" x 20" x 10.4"|
|Steamist SM-11||11 kW||500 cu. ft.||240 V / single phase / 46 max Amps||17.5" x6.5" x 15.5"|
|Steam Spa OA600CHC||6 kW||150 cu. ft.||240-volt/25 amp GFCI||16" x 6.5" x 14.5"|
|Steam Planet 12kW||12 kW||460-700 cu. ft.||220-volt/6-2 wire-60 amp GFCI||21" x 9.5" x 15"|
What is a Steam Shower Generator?
A steam generator is a machine used to convert water into steam. Cold water is boiled and converted into steam with the help of the generator. Once water is converted into steam, it is delivered to your steam room under controlled temperatures. Most steam shower units come with a generator. Depending on how the original generator performs, you may be obliged to invest in a separate, reliable steam generator.
A steam generator is often equal in size or smaller than a briefcase. Most of them resemble a car battery in design, except for the fact that they are often smaller and much lighter. When buying a steam generator, sizing it up to ensure it can deliver the steam needed to keep your steam room luxurious is important. However, sizing your steam generator does not in any way relate to its physical size. That is because most steam generators are similar in size almost all of the time. A 3kW steam generator, for example, is most probably similar in size to a 9kW generator, but the power capabilities are different.
Now that you know that the generator’s physical size is no any indicator of its performance; here is something that actually matters. A generator’s power rating ranges between 3kW and 12Kws for the home shower system. The higher the power rating, usually the more powerful the steam generator is. A 3 kW steam generator, for example, powers enough steam for a 1 person steam shower efficiently.
When you use it in a 500 cubic feet steam room it will certainly struggle to deliver steam. A standard generator delivers at least 6Kws of power. This can, in turn, provide a fast steam build up time of two minutes or fewer, and then deliver enough steam in the room throughout your shower period accordingly.
One of the reasons why shower units can be expensive is because of their generator. As a separate unit, a steam generator can cost in excess of $1,000. Most generators range between $1000 and $2000. Of course, what you want to pay more attention to is the generator’s power rating, control features and anything else that will assure you of an impressive performance for long.
Buying Guide for Choosing the Best Steam Shower Generator
Having a steam generator that can build up steam in the shortest time possible is the goal of every steam room owner. Unfortunately, most of the steam generators sold together with the steam shower don’t last long. Those that do either take too long to build up steam or they are unreliable at times. When you decide to buy your next steam generator, therefore, keep in mind some of the following tips, mentioned in this buying guide.
A steam generator’s power output is probably the most important factor you need to keep in mind during this process. A generator will work efficiently depending on how much power it can produce. If you buy a 3kW steam generator, it will perform within the limits of a 3kW generator. You get what you pay for, remember? With that in mind, evaluate the size of your steam shower and select a generator powerful enough to steam up that room.
For a very small steam room, a 3Kw generator could do the job. But to be on the safe side, select generators with a power output of at least 6 kilowatts. If you have a 2 person steam room, select an even bigger steam generator. Besides the ability to deliver enough steam for a big steam room, a powerful generator is also more likely to build up the steam faster. And that is a great thing because you save on time.
Imagine this. You have a powerful steam generator. You bought it at a ‘killer’ price. Unfortunately, the generator only lasts six months. How would that make you feel? Since you will want to enjoy steam showers after the six months, you will be forced to buy another steam generator. In the end, your steam shower will be costlier than getting the services from a health spa. Consider quality in construction and quality in performance in equal measures. If a steam generator performs well but looks poorly built, don’t invest in it.
A quality steam generator features a myriad of helpful components. It should have a quality connecting wire. A wire longer than 10 ft. is the standard. It should have outlets for linking to aromatherapy scents, a radio outlet or a wand. Make sure, therefore, that as you buy a steam generator, it offers the value you can see. Look at the generator’s control panel also, and ensure that it has dials that will help you improve your experience using it.
Most people value a steam generator based on its efficiency. Unfortunately, you can’t tell if a generator is efficient before you use it. Can you? What you can do, however; is go through its customer ratings in online retail stores and view its performance features. Getting to know what people who already own the generator feel about it can help you decide if you should buy it. Additionally, features that can help you evaluate the generator’s efficiency include its power output and the length of its warranty. Usually, generators with lengthy warranties are most often good in quality and performance.
Like any other machine, a steam generator produces noise as it functions. That’s why most experts will advise you to install your generator in a cabinet. To ensure you have minimum noise pollution in your bathroom, select a generator with the lowest noise level. Noise in generators is measured in decibels, and the lower the decibels, the quieter the generator will be.
Determine the goal of buying your generator long before you decide to buy it. Do you want a generator for residential use? Do you need a steam generator that can increase steam build up time? You will most likely find your ideal steam generator when you already have clear reasons why you need it.
Often underscored, cleaning a steam generator is important if it is going to last for long. You will be lucky if you buy a generator with self-cleaning technology. If you choose one with no automatic cleaning, consider carefully how the manufacturers recommend that it be cleaned.
How long does it take for the generator to fully function? A quality generator should power on and begin to build up steam immediately. It is the reason you probably invested in this generator after all. Many manufacturers do indicate the generator’s start-up time. Check carefully for this. If you can’t find any indication, go through the machine’s online reviews. You will find helpful information on how fast to slow it takes for the generator to start up.
When installing a steam generator, professionals will often advise you to install at least two circuit breakers. That’s because these small machines hold too much power on them. They are risky and deadly if they function in a manner that could endanger you. If the unit, for example, is poorly engineered, it could fail and expose you to accidents.
Price and Warranty
If you purchased your current steam shower for less than $1500, you will be surprised to learn that some steam generators costs higher than that. Steam generators are expensive, which is why you need to invest time knowing exactly which one suits your needs. Once you know what generator you need, you can compare prices and warranty and invest in the most ideal machine.
Steam Shower Generator Installation
Unlike installing the steam shower, a steam generator is something anyone with the will to do it can install. You will need a few tools to complete the job and put to use the following tip.
Find the Right Steam Generator
It is important to have a steam generator that can deliver to your expectations. Steam generators are very expensive as already mentioned. Determine your reasons for a generator and pick one that will deliver the expected results. If you need a generator that builds up steam, really fast so that you only spend a short span of your time in there, buy the more power generators.
Identify where to Install the Generator
You know that a steam generator can last for a decade, right? Choose a great place where the generator can serve its purpose without being. There are a few great places in your bathroom where you could install the machine properly. A good cabinet, for instance, can be an ideal installation place. A closet, or anywhere the generator isn’t vulnerable to physical damage is a great place to install it. Other than safety, your desired location should be a place nearby your bathroom’s water lines for easy connection.
Installing the Generator
Once you settle on the right place to install your generator, prepare your drilling tools. You will need two holes; one that connects the generator to the control panel and one that connects it to the steam outlet. Note that some states have general installation rules you are required to follow. Most states, for example, require a 1-inch gap for the drainage system. As for electrical connections, ask a professional for assistance or follow manufacturer’s guide accordingly.
Depending on the generator’s power rating, use an insulated copper conductor for the wiring. Install at least two circuit breakers for complete safety. One circuit breaker can be installed between the generator and the power supply and the other one in a nearby location.
Finish up Installation
If the steam generator’s control panel asks for separate installation, install at your convenient location. Once done, turn on the water to test the system. Ensure that power is off though because you want to test the generator’s performance first. Small issues that may be hindering efficient steam delivery could include holes and cracks should be addressed immediately. If everything is running on as expected, you are good to go. Installing the steam generator is something that could cost you a few years, but it is worth it when done correctly.
Small and compact, yet a steam generator is one of the most important parts of a steam shower. Some would compare it to an engine because it powers up the steam that gives you the relaxation and luxury you deserve at home. With such importance, take your time to search for the best steam shower generator. Go through our steam shower generator reviews again, and you will probably get a clearer picture of which best-selling steam shower is right for you.